It is recommended that you first think carefully and then proceed to change the inventory items to non-inventory with the QuickBooks software as changing the item type can put the financials to risk. When you will implement the change, the transactions will be modified and you will be taken back to scratch and sometimes even the financial statements can get modified too. You can read this blog further on, if you want to change the item type and can also get some of the alternative solutions. It is always suggested that when scenario’s like this are involved, you must consult with the accounting experts and take their opinion too. You can talk to the QuickBooks customer care number
Before you jump on the process to change the inventory type it is highly recommended that you create a backup of the data. For that, you can read the steps that have been mentioned below.
Steps to back up your data and securing the financials first:
- Sign in to the QuickBooks account and go to the file option in the menu.
- Right click on the file and select the option to create a copy from the given list.
- Now save the copy to a local drive or on the desktop.
- After that click Finish and you will be able to secure your data.
The process to change the item type in QuickBooks
- Login to the QuickBooks account and go to the home page or dashboard.
- Search for reports and click on that.
- You will be able to see a list option. From that navigate to the item list.
- Once done you will be able to view the list of all the items that you can change to non-inventory items.
- Now click the modify report button and then select the filters.
- Now choose the type button and the inventory. You have to choose a said category when you will click on the type button so as to view the list of the items that fall under that specific category.
- Print the report for future reference so as to match the changes.
- Go to the list tab again and choose the item list.
- Then click on the item and choose new. Now select your type category as non-inventory.
- Provide the details that are different from the existing item type and fill the name and the number field.
- Follow the same steps for each and every inventory item until you have completed the process.